Joe Root, England's star batsman, has played down his struggles in Australia and questioned the need for a pink-ball Test during the Ashes series. The second Test at Brisbane is just around the corner, with Australia looking to respond strongly after an eight-wicket defeat in Perth.
Root has been struggling for form, having gone 29 innings without a century against Australia in Test matches Down Under. However, he remains confident that he can rediscover his scoring touch and has questioned whether the pink-ball Test is necessary. "It's very successful and very popular here," Root said. "Australia has got a good record here... but it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be here either."
Root's form has been a major concern for England, with many of their top order batsmen struggling in Australia. The team will be looking to bounce back from a disappointing first Test and the 35-year-old Root is confident that he can make an impact. "I'm making sure I'm clear on how I want to construct an innings against the pink ball in these conditions, against this attack," he added.
The pink-ball Test has been successful for Australia in recent years, with the country winning 13 of their 14 day-night Tests. However, Root believes that it is not essential for England to play a pink-ball Test in Brisbane. "A series like this, does it need it? I don't think so," he said. "But it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be here either."
England's top order enjoyed a net session at the Gabba on Sunday as they acclimatise to the humid weather. The team is expected to face some challenges in Brisbane, with Australia looking to take advantage of their home conditions.
Meanwhile, Mark Wood looks set to miss the second Ashes Test after sitting out England's first training session in Brisbane. The 35-year-old had previously undergone surgery on his knee and also suffered a hamstring scare during the pre-series warm-up match against England Lions.
Root has been struggling for form, having gone 29 innings without a century against Australia in Test matches Down Under. However, he remains confident that he can rediscover his scoring touch and has questioned whether the pink-ball Test is necessary. "It's very successful and very popular here," Root said. "Australia has got a good record here... but it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be here either."
Root's form has been a major concern for England, with many of their top order batsmen struggling in Australia. The team will be looking to bounce back from a disappointing first Test and the 35-year-old Root is confident that he can make an impact. "I'm making sure I'm clear on how I want to construct an innings against the pink ball in these conditions, against this attack," he added.
The pink-ball Test has been successful for Australia in recent years, with the country winning 13 of their 14 day-night Tests. However, Root believes that it is not essential for England to play a pink-ball Test in Brisbane. "A series like this, does it need it? I don't think so," he said. "But it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be here either."
England's top order enjoyed a net session at the Gabba on Sunday as they acclimatise to the humid weather. The team is expected to face some challenges in Brisbane, with Australia looking to take advantage of their home conditions.
Meanwhile, Mark Wood looks set to miss the second Ashes Test after sitting out England's first training session in Brisbane. The 35-year-old had previously undergone surgery on his knee and also suffered a hamstring scare during the pre-series warm-up match against England Lions.