Gaza Death Toll Surpasses 70,000 as Israel Continues Attacks Despite Truce
The Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza announced on Saturday that the death toll from Israel's ongoing attacks on the enclave has surpassed 70,000, leaving behind a trail of devastation and humanitarian disaster. The staggering figure includes at least 70,100 people who have been killed across the Gaza Strip since October 7, 2023.
The grim milestone comes as Israeli military attacks continue to plague Gaza, despite a US-brokered ceasefire that took effect last month. Medics reported that two Palestinian children were killed in an Israeli drone attack on the town of Bani Suheila, east of Khan Younis, bringing the total number of civilians injured or killed to over 170,900.
The attack, which dropped a bomb on a group of civilians near al-Farabi School, was reportedly carried out beyond the so-called Yellow Line marking the Israeli forces' redeployment boundary agreed under the ceasefire agreement. Witnesses described the scene as chaotic, with drones dropping bombs and artillery fire pounding the area.
Israeli military operations continued throughout the day, including ground, naval, and air attacks on several parts of Gaza. Medical sources reported that three Palestinians were injured in Israeli artillery and air bombardment in the town of al-Qarara, northeast of Khan Younis.
The attacks have left many civilians reeling, with the director of Gaza's Government Media Office, Ismail al-Thawabta, describing the humanitarian situation as "deteriorating at an unprecedented rate" and warning that Israeli aggression has destroyed infrastructure and essential services.
"This is a catastrophe that will be remembered for generations to come," al-Thawabta said in a statement. "We call on the international community to take immediate action to stop this aggression and provide humanitarian assistance to our people."
The continued attacks have sparked widespread condemnation from the international community, with many leaders calling for an end to the violence and a renewed commitment to peace.
As the death toll continues to rise, many are left wondering when Israel will cease its attacks on Gaza and respect the rights of the Palestinian people to live in safety and dignity.
The Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza announced on Saturday that the death toll from Israel's ongoing attacks on the enclave has surpassed 70,000, leaving behind a trail of devastation and humanitarian disaster. The staggering figure includes at least 70,100 people who have been killed across the Gaza Strip since October 7, 2023.
The grim milestone comes as Israeli military attacks continue to plague Gaza, despite a US-brokered ceasefire that took effect last month. Medics reported that two Palestinian children were killed in an Israeli drone attack on the town of Bani Suheila, east of Khan Younis, bringing the total number of civilians injured or killed to over 170,900.
The attack, which dropped a bomb on a group of civilians near al-Farabi School, was reportedly carried out beyond the so-called Yellow Line marking the Israeli forces' redeployment boundary agreed under the ceasefire agreement. Witnesses described the scene as chaotic, with drones dropping bombs and artillery fire pounding the area.
Israeli military operations continued throughout the day, including ground, naval, and air attacks on several parts of Gaza. Medical sources reported that three Palestinians were injured in Israeli artillery and air bombardment in the town of al-Qarara, northeast of Khan Younis.
The attacks have left many civilians reeling, with the director of Gaza's Government Media Office, Ismail al-Thawabta, describing the humanitarian situation as "deteriorating at an unprecedented rate" and warning that Israeli aggression has destroyed infrastructure and essential services.
"This is a catastrophe that will be remembered for generations to come," al-Thawabta said in a statement. "We call on the international community to take immediate action to stop this aggression and provide humanitarian assistance to our people."
The continued attacks have sparked widespread condemnation from the international community, with many leaders calling for an end to the violence and a renewed commitment to peace.
As the death toll continues to rise, many are left wondering when Israel will cease its attacks on Gaza and respect the rights of the Palestinian people to live in safety and dignity.