Does Kerosene And Camphor Kill Lice? Find Out Here!

Does Heat Kill Lice?


Lice infestation can be a nightmare for anyone. It is a common problem, especially among children in schools. There are many ways to get rid of lice, but some people believe that kerosene and camphor are effective remedies. In this article, we will explore whether kerosene and camphor can kill lice or not.

What are Lice?

Lice are small parasitic insects that infest the human scalp and feed on blood. They are highly contagious and can spread from one person to another through direct contact. Lice eggs, also known as nits, are tiny white or yellowish oval-shaped structures that attach to the hair shafts close to the scalp.

Can Kerosene Kill Lice?

Kerosene is a highly flammable liquid that is commonly used as a fuel for lamps and stoves. Some people believe that kerosene can kill lice by suffocating them. However, this is not entirely true. Kerosene is not an effective lice treatment and can be dangerous if used improperly.

Why is Kerosene Dangerous?

Kerosene is a petroleum-based product that is highly flammable and can cause serious burns if exposed to an open flame or heat source. It can also cause skin irritation, respiratory problems, and even death if ingested or inhaled. Therefore, it is not recommended to use kerosene as a lice treatment.

Can Camphor Kill Lice?

Camphor is a white crystalline substance that is commonly used in the production of medicines, insecticides, and perfumes. Some people believe that camphor can kill lice by suffocating them. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.

Why is Camphor Ineffective?

Camphor has a strong odor that can repel lice, but it does not kill them. It is not an effective lice treatment because it does not penetrate the lice eggs, which are firmly attached to the hair shafts. Therefore, camphor is not a good option for treating lice infestations.

What are the Best Lice Treatments?

The best way to get rid of lice is to use an effective lice treatment that is safe and easy to use. Some of the most popular lice treatments include: – Over-the-counter lice shampoos and conditioners – Prescription-strength lice treatments – Manual removal of lice and nits using a fine-toothed comb


In conclusion, kerosene and camphor are not effective lice treatments. Kerosene is dangerous and can cause serious health problems if used improperly, while camphor is ineffective and does not kill lice. The best way to get rid of lice is to use an effective lice treatment that is safe and easy to use. If you or your child has a lice infestation, seek advice from a healthcare professional.