How To Use Ear Candles To Remove Wax

Ear Candling for Earwax Removal Safety and Side Effects


Earwax buildup can be uncomfortable and even painful for some people. While there are various methods for removing earwax, one method that has gained popularity in recent years is using ear candles. Ear candles are long, thin candles made of cotton or linen that are coated with wax. They are designed to be inserted into the ear canal and then lit on the other end, creating a vacuum effect that is said to draw out earwax.


Before using ear candles, it is important to prepare the area. Make sure you are in a quiet and comfortable space where you will not be disturbed. You will also need a few items, including ear candles, a lighter, a bowl of water, and a towel. It is recommended that you have someone with you to assist with the process.


The procedure for using ear candles is relatively simple. First, lie on your side with the ear you want to treat facing up. Insert the smaller end of the candle into your ear canal, making sure it is snug but not too tight. Light the other end of the candle and let it burn for about 10-15 minutes. As the candle burns, it will create a vacuum effect that draws out earwax and other debris.

Safety Tips

While using ear candles is generally safe, it is important to take some precautions. Never use ear candles on a child or anyone who has a perforated eardrum. Keep a bowl of water nearby in case the candle sparks or catches fire. Also, make sure the candle is not too close to your hair or clothing.


After using ear candles, it is important to clean your ear canal. Use a damp cloth or cotton swab to gently wipe away any residue or debris. You may also want to rinse your ear with warm water. Avoid using cotton swabs or other objects that can push earwax deeper into the ear canal.


Ear candles can be a safe and effective way to remove earwax. However, it is important to use them properly and take precautions to avoid injury. If you have any concerns or experience pain or discomfort during the process, stop immediately and consult a healthcare professional.

Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. Always consult a healthcare professional before trying any new treatment.