Chemical peels are a popular cosmetic treatment that aims to improve the overall appearance of the skin. This treatment involves applying a chemical solution to the skin to remove its outer layer, revealing smoother, brighter, and more youthful-looking skin. However, some people experience an unwanted side effect after undergoing a chemical peel – pimples. In this article, we will discuss the causes, prevention, and treatment of pimples after a chemical peel.
Causes of Pimple After Chemical Peel
Pimples after a chemical peel can be caused by several factors, including:
- Excessive oil production: The chemical peel can cause the skin to produce more oil, which can clog the pores and lead to pimples.
- Bacterial infection: The chemical peel can create small openings in the skin, making it more susceptible to bacterial infection that can cause pimples.
- Use of incompatible skincare products: Using skincare products that are not compatible with the chemical peel can irritate the skin and cause pimples.
Prevention of Pimple After Chemical Peel
Here are some tips to prevent pimples after a chemical peel:
- Follow the aftercare instructions carefully: Your dermatologist will provide you with aftercare instructions that you should follow strictly. This includes avoiding sun exposure, using gentle skincare products, and not picking at the skin.
- Avoid oil-based skincare products: Oil-based skincare products can clog the pores and cause pimples. Instead, use water-based products that are non-comedogenic.
- Do not touch the face: Touching the face can transfer bacteria from your hands to your face, leading to pimples. Avoid touching your face as much as possible.
Treatment of Pimple After Chemical Peel
If you develop pimples after a chemical peel, here are some treatments that can help:
- Topical acne medication: Your dermatologist may prescribe topical acne medication that can help clear up the pimples.
- Oral antibiotics: In severe cases, your dermatologist may prescribe oral antibiotics to treat the bacterial infection that is causing the pimples.
- Chemical exfoliation: A gentle chemical exfoliation can help remove the dead skin cells and unclog the pores, preventing further pimples.
Pimples after a chemical peel can be a frustrating side effect, but with proper prevention and treatment, they can be managed effectively. Make sure to follow the aftercare instructions carefully and use compatible skincare products to avoid developing pimples after a chemical peel. If you do develop pimples, consult your dermatologist for the best treatment options.