What Happens When You Eat Borax?



Borax, also known as sodium borate, is a naturally occurring mineral that is often used in household cleaning products. While it is generally considered safe for use in cleaning, many people may wonder what happens if they accidentally ingest it or intentionally consume it. Here we will discuss the potential risks and side effects of eating borax.

Chemical Composition of Borax

Borax is composed of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. The chemical formula for borax is Na2B4O7·10H2O. It is a white, odorless powder that is easily dissolved in water. While borax is commonly used in cleaning and laundry products, it is also used in some foods as a preservative.

The Dangers of Eating Borax

While borax is considered safe for use in cleaning and laundry products, it can be dangerous if ingested. Borax can cause irritation to the digestive system, leading to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can even cause kidney damage and death.

Immediate Symptoms of Ingesting Borax

If someone ingests borax, they may experience immediate symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and dehydration. These symptoms can be severe and require medical attention. It is important to seek medical help if someone has ingested borax.

Long-Term Effects of Ingesting Borax

Ingesting borax can have long-term effects on the body. It can lead to kidney damage, which can be irreversible. It can also cause bone density loss and harm to the reproductive system. Ingesting borax repeatedly over time can also lead to chronic poisoning.

Safe Uses of Borax

While ingesting borax can be dangerous, it is safe to use in cleaning products when used properly. Borax is a natural alternative to chemical cleaning products and can be used to clean a variety of surfaces. It is important to follow the instructions on the label and keep borax out of reach of children and pets.


Ingesting borax can be dangerous and lead to serious side effects. It is important to keep borax out of reach of children and pets and to use it safely in cleaning products. If someone has ingested borax, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Stay safe and use borax responsibly.