Guinea-Bissau's new military ruler, General Horta Inta-A, has taken steps to consolidate power following a coup that ousted President Umaro Sissoco Embalo. The general appointed Finance Minister Ilidio Vieira Te as the prime minister in a decree on Friday, just days after military officers took control of the country.
During the swearing-in ceremony, General Horta told Prime Minister Te that he hoped they would "continue to work hand-in-hand." Both officials are close to President Embalo, who had been seeking re-election against his main challenger, Fernando Dias. However, regional and world leaders have condemned the military coup, with the African Union suspending Guinea-Bissau and the Economic Community of West African States freezing it out of decision-making bodies.
The United Nations Secretary-General has also condemned the military's "unacceptable violation of democratic principles," while the European Union urged a swift return to constitutional order. The prime minister of Senegal called the coup a "sham" and called for the electoral process to be allowed to continue.
Ilidio Vieira Te, who previously served in Embalo's government, is seen as a trusted ally by the new military leaders. Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan accused Embalo of staging a "ceremonial coup" to stay in power.
As calm returns to the capital, Bissau, army checkpoints have been lifted, and people and vehicles are circulating through the streets. The main stock exchange and markets have also reopened. For many citizens, like 25-year-old street vendor Boubacar Embalo, the lifting of the curfew has allowed them to resume their daily lives.
The situation remains tense, with reports of human rights violations, including arbitrary arrests and detentions of government officials and opposition politicians. The UN human rights chief has called for the immediate release of those detained and respect for fundamental freedoms.
During the swearing-in ceremony, General Horta told Prime Minister Te that he hoped they would "continue to work hand-in-hand." Both officials are close to President Embalo, who had been seeking re-election against his main challenger, Fernando Dias. However, regional and world leaders have condemned the military coup, with the African Union suspending Guinea-Bissau and the Economic Community of West African States freezing it out of decision-making bodies.
The United Nations Secretary-General has also condemned the military's "unacceptable violation of democratic principles," while the European Union urged a swift return to constitutional order. The prime minister of Senegal called the coup a "sham" and called for the electoral process to be allowed to continue.
Ilidio Vieira Te, who previously served in Embalo's government, is seen as a trusted ally by the new military leaders. Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan accused Embalo of staging a "ceremonial coup" to stay in power.
As calm returns to the capital, Bissau, army checkpoints have been lifted, and people and vehicles are circulating through the streets. The main stock exchange and markets have also reopened. For many citizens, like 25-year-old street vendor Boubacar Embalo, the lifting of the curfew has allowed them to resume their daily lives.
The situation remains tense, with reports of human rights violations, including arbitrary arrests and detentions of government officials and opposition politicians. The UN human rights chief has called for the immediate release of those detained and respect for fundamental freedoms.