Too Much Chlorine In Drinking Water: Is It Safe For Your Health?

Mixing chlorine and drinking water creates toxic byproducts Futurity


Chlorine is a common disinfectant used by water treatment plants to kill harmful bacteria in drinking water. However, there have been concerns about the potential health risks associated with too much chlorine in drinking water. In this article, we will discuss the effects of excessive chlorine levels in drinking water and how you can protect yourself and your family.

What is Chlorine?

Chlorine is a chemical element that is widely used as a disinfectant and bleaching agent. It is commonly used in swimming pools, water treatment plants, and household cleaning products. Chlorine is added to drinking water to kill harmful bacteria and other microorganisms that can cause serious illnesses.

The Effects of Too Much Chlorine in Drinking Water

While chlorine is an effective disinfectant, excessive levels of chlorine in drinking water can have adverse health effects. Exposure to high levels of chlorine can cause skin irritation, respiratory problems, and digestive issues. Long-term exposure to chlorine has also been linked to an increased risk of cancer.

How to Protect Yourself from Excessive Chlorine Exposure

There are several ways to protect yourself and your family from excessive chlorine exposure in drinking water. One way is to install a water filtration system that can remove chlorine and other contaminants from your tap water. Another way is to use bottled water for drinking and cooking instead of tap water.


In conclusion, excessive levels of chlorine in drinking water can have serious health implications. It is important to take steps to protect yourself and your family from potential chlorine exposure. By installing a water filtration system or using bottled water, you can ensure that your drinking water is safe and healthy.